WestJet workers, if you are applying for EI, or know someone who is, here’s some help.
These are difficult times for the airline industry, of course. More importantly, they are difficult times for you and your families. Unifor’s national leadership is actively involved in discussions about government support for the industry.
We are here to help you and your families through this difficult time. Unifor’s Communications, Research and Pensions and Benefits departments have prepared a series of fact sheets that explain, in simple terms, how to access Employment Insurance right now. This is the same information being shared with our membership at Air Canada and other workplaces.
If you are trying to sort through how the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) and the Canadian Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) apply to your situation, there's a couple of Unifor factsheets that might help:
- FAQ on the New Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) This short FAQ includes all information known about the program, its eligibility rules and anticipated payment schedules, as outlined in Bill C-13. Read the FAQ.
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) Get the factsheet
Here is a factsheet how to apply for Employment Insurance:
- How to Apply for E.I. Factsheet: What you need to know about filling in an E.I. applications. Get the How to Apply for E.I. factsheet
You will find this and other factsheets that you might find helpful on Unifor’s COVID-19 web page (unifor.org/covid19) and at the following links:
- E.I. Regular Benefits Factsheet: What you need to know about regular E.I. benefits during the Covid-19 pandemic. Get the E.I. factsheet
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB): What you need to know about the CERB. Get the CERB factsheet
- (New) E.I. Full-time Workers Factsheet: What you need to know about E.I. benefits for Full-time Workers during the Covid-19 pandemic. Get the E.I. Full-time Workers factsheet
- (New) E.I. Part-time Workers Factsheet: What you need to know about E.I. benefits for Part-time Workers during the Covid-19 pandemic. Get the E.I. Part-time Workers factsheet
- E.I. Sick Benefits Factsheet: News measures are in place during the Covid-19 crisis. Here is what you need to know. Get the sick benefits factsheet
- E.I. Work Sharing Factsheet: Learn more about the Work-Sharing program and temporary special measures to support employees affected by the downturn in business caused by COVID-19. Get the work sharing factsheet
- E.I. Vacation Pay Factsheet: What you need to know about vacation pay during the Covid-19 crisis. Get the vacation pay fact sheet
- (New) E.I. Gig Workers Factsheet: What you need to know about E.I. benefits for Gig Workers during the Covid-19 pandemic. Get the gig workers factsheet
- (New) E.I. Seasonal Workers Factsheet: What you need to know about E.I. benefits for Season Workers during the Covid-19 pandemic. Get the seasonal workers factsheet
Please know that Unifor continues to pressure the federal government to increase access to EI, to expedite the application process, and to ensure money gets in the pockets of workers as fast as possible to help mitigate the consequences of COVID-19 on employment.
If you are not collecting E.I. please share this with someone who is – whether part of WestJet or not. We are all in this together, and you may know someone who could use one of the above factsheets, even if you can’t. Please share as widely as you can.
This is a stressful time for many, and Unifor has gathered together a collection of resources to help you and your family in this time. You will find resources you can access in your area, including culturally specific resources, as well as resources for those facing domestic violence or addiction issues.
- Mental Health resources: Resources to help you through the stresses that arise in such a difficult time. See the resources here.
Remember, too, to continue checking www.unifor.org/covid19 for updates and more materials.
Do you like this page?